Medicaid is a federal and state program that provides medical cover to low income families, children, and adults with disabilities. It also provides nursing homecare cover to those who meet the requirements. Most Medicaid holders do not enjoy home care as most of the states have limited the provision, with New York being the only state where all Medicaid holders enjoy home care provisions. Once you qualify for Medicaid, all that you are required to do is to fill out a Medicaid application form, submit it and await confirmation.
There are different application forms available. There is a specific application form available for families as well as children who want to get Medicaid. All children below 21 years and grownups who have children under their care are eligible for Medicaid even without disabilities. All you are needed to do is to make a list of all persons that are in need of Medicaid.
There are certain requirements set by state laws regarding Medicaid application. The requirements for Medicaid application vary from one state to another, and this is so because states are required to: establish their own requirements for eligibility, set their own typed of services, time frame, and cost of services offered, set the rates of payments and manage their own Medicaid programs. But though this is so, most states have similar application requirements for those willing to fill out a Medicaid application form.
• You will need to identify yourself as a basic requirement. One is required to submit a filled out application form to the Department of Family And Children Services through mail, in person or through e-mail.
• Another basic requirement is age. You should be either a child or be above 65 years, and be an American. You will need to prove where you reside, provide your Social Security number, and prove that you receive other benefits like cash, housing or food assistance.
• If you are applying for a cover that has to do with disabilities, then you will be required to prove your disability, as well as meet all income requirements.
• Relevant documentation will be required. Documents such as birth certificates, government benefits documentation, bank statements, ID card and receipts from rent will be needed.
• A Medicaid application form will take approximately 24 hours to process, and the date of submission is taken as the day of application if you choose to apply through phone, personally or through mail. If you use postal mail, the application date is taken to be the date that the application is received.
• The application takes approximately 10 days for general applications, while applications for disabled persons takes 60 days, and that of pregnant women, infants and the aged (over 65 yrs) the time frame for consideration is 45 days.
When completing a Medicaid application form, you need to be extra careful. Always carry your basic family information such as names, address and phone number, dates of birth and financial details about your family by writing them down lest you forget.